He resigned this position in 1862 when New Orleans was taken by Union forces. His son, Dudley, enlisted in the Delta Rifles from Baton Rouge and fought under Albert Sidney Johnston in the Shiloh campaign.
Correspondence of 12 December 1862 includes a poem written from a soldier, William M. He settled in Baton Rouge and built up an extensive law practice.
His vessel was towed by the Confederate steamer Defiance and was then fired upon by Federal steamers and rendered inoperable. Related collections among the holdings of the Virginia Historical Society include Mss3M6943a. Over half of the collection consists of financial and legal papers relating to the operation of the Petite Anse Island sugar plantation and salt mines. Subseries 1.4: 1836-1845 0658 Description of Subseries 1.4.
Mitchell of the Confederate States Navy, written from the towboat Landis describing an action in which he captured and then lost the Federal steamer Resolute. Included are correspondence and financial and legal records, dated 1817-1895.
Location: Reel 1; Confederate Military Manuscripts, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge The Amacker family settled in the Florida parishes of Louisiana in the early nineteenth century. 0479 Abigail Means (Kent) Amacker, Diary, 1862-1865. In addition to extensive documents relating to the disputed sale of Michel T. John the Baptist Parish, the legal papers include a will, a petition to sell slaves, oaths of allegiance, and plat maps showing Andry’s property holdings. Petite Anse Island is a salt dome whose highest point rises approximately 180 feet out of the surrounding marsh. Marsh, Jr., died in 1820 and Eliza Ann Baldwin Marsh died in 1826.
Other correspondence includes letters to and from Charles G. Other letters tell of personal and financial difficulties suffered during the later way years and after the war. The letters are signed by Rob [otherwise unidentified] to his sister May [otherwise unidentified] in western Virginia. He acquired Petite Anse Island Plantation, later known as Avery Island, ten miles south of New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, probably in early 1818.